"Step Into Teaching is an innovative initiative; focusing on enticing high quality graduates into the teaching profession. We have secured several graduates to date across our schools and have been delighted with their professionalism and drive. Individuals have contributed towards particular areas of school improvement; providing skills, knowledge and capacity. Working in our schools prior to their initial teacher training at South Birmingham SCITT provides us with opportunities to secure recruitment and retention into the profession."
Help unlock and nurture the teaching talent of the next generation of teachers
Schools face increased competition for graduates from other industries. This makes it difficult for schools to attract and retain high-calibre graduates in the teaching profession.
The Step Into Teaching programme is designed to provide a continuous stream of classroom-ready teaching talent for a smooth transition into a trainee teacher role.
Other perceived benefits of the Step Into Teaching Programme include:
- Helps drive progress and support all learners to achieve their goals
- Increases the number of graduates training to be teachers, educational psychologists and speech and language therapists
- Reduces early trainee dropouts in teacher training and raises teacher retention levels
Step Into Teaching is partnered with graduate teacher training programmes around the UK to provide a steady stream of outstanding graduates who are interested in training to teach. Our graduates work in schools via a long-term support role before progressing onto an Initial Teacher Training Programme (ITT) the following year. We want to help produce and prepare strong classroom practitioners who will have long and successful careers in teaching.
Step 1: Working in Partnership
Our common goal is to introduce talented graduates to the teaching profession. Working together we can achieve this. We are jointly responsible for supporting, developing, and nurturing graduate trainee teachers throughout the Step Into Teaching Programme. SMART objectives and continued two-way communication make the Step Into Teaching Programme a success!
Step 2: Engagement
No two schools or graduates are the same. Therefore, we do not have a one size fits all approach to working with you. We meet with you face-to-face and listen to your specific requirements to tailor our services to meet your individual needs. We always aim to match the right school with the right graduate.
- Arranging face-to-face meetings with your school representatives to discuss classroom requirements, areas of development (subject or key stage)
- Interviewing and shortlisting graduates who are serious about a career in teaching
- Matching the expectations of your school’s requirements with that of the suitable graduate trainees
- Finding the perfect fit for your school; What are we looking for at the interview stage? A strong academic background, an energetic personality, a passion for teaching and learning, a commitment to education and a big smile
- Organising individual or group tours of your school for graduates to experience the school environment, meet the staff and pupils
- Managing and communicating the full initial teacher training opportunities, which will entirely be facilitated by Step Into Teaching on behalf of your school
Step 3: Recruitment Process
Step Into Teaching will:
- Advertise the Step Into Teaching Programme to graduates, providing candidates with further information on how to apply for your ITT
- Assess a candidate’s suitability for a career in teaching, through our rigorous registration and face-to-face interview process
- Perform candidate pre-employment checks including: Enhanced DBS, Children’s Barring List, Prohibition Check, References, Right to Work and Qualifications, References
- Provide ongoing candidate training: Safeguarding and Child Protection, Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Introduce candidates who pass our vetting process to the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and teachers, on a trial basis
- Facilitate the flexible, ongoing contract on your behalf
Make an enquiry
If you would like to learn more about Step Into Teaching, please complete the form below and a consultant will be in touch with you within 24 hours.